Thursday, March 20, 2008

The Garden

is almost completely rototilled (is that a word?) and I have been plotting and planning the arrangement. I've been sifting through my seeds anxiously, while watching the five-day weather forecasts and "grrrrr'ing" when I see anything below 35* degrees. I need to KNOW there won't be frost or a freeze. I NEED to know that.

So, there they sit. The packets of seeds, mostly new, some leftover from last year, and some that I saved from the produce that I grew. I learned a lot last year and although the intense heat and drought took a toll on the garden, overall, for a first-timer I did pretty well. This year I plan to plant successively, every two to three weeks so as to better handle the canning and freezing I plan to do.

Let's see, off the top of my head, here is a list of what I plan to plant;

corn
tomatoes
bell peppers
hot peppers
carrots
radishes
broccoli
cabbage
onions
chives
basil
potatos (potatoEs?)
sweet potatoes
lettuce
green beans
cucumber
zucchini
yellow squash
watermelon
pumpkins

and probably lots more.

speaking of gardening, I just got a message from my dearest friend Kim in Redding, CA. Here it is!

Hey you, just wanted to touch bases with you and see what you have been up
to. Wish you were closer so we could garden and can foods together. I used to do
alot of that in my 20's. The pressure cooker always scared the shit out of me. I
just knew the top was going to blow off. Take care and have a great week.
Love, Kim.


No comments:

What is this leisure time of which you speak?

my grateful button