Saturday, March 8, 2008

About that bakery.....


I saw on ABC news (nightly? tonight?...ah, fieldmouse-itis again...can't remember) that wheat is a hot commodity. The way I understand it is that a lot of farmers have been convinced (read: paid off) to grow corn (read: ethanol/alternative fuels) and that leaves us with less crops of wheat.


$15 U.S. Dollars for a 50 lb. sack of flour. Not bad, right?


How about; $40 U.S. Dollars for same said sack of flour. Bad. Right. That's a nearly three hundred percent increase. (Am I correct in my attempt at math, here?)
So there will be no bakery here at Hope Farms anytime soon. Darnit. I love to bake. And people love to eat home-baked goodies, no? I was wanting to open M-Sat 5AM to 9AM and Sunday 12-3 for those after-church-munchies. Banana bread, zucchini bread, muffins, cupcakes, cakes, and Irish Soda Bread, which you really must try at home, it is superbly simple, dense and hearty and who doesn't love the smell of bread baking in the oven?
The best you can do is hope for a supper invitiation which always ends with my never-to-be-humble Best Hope Farms Banana Bread Ever. Hot coffee. And good company.
p.s. I can't take credit for the cake in the picture above. It was served at my baby shower in May of 2005. My friend Annie picked it up at a place called Martha's I think, in Redlands, CA. It was as good to eat, as it looked too.


No comments:

What is this leisure time of which you speak?

my grateful button