Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Busy Human Doing or Human Being...

Tick tock, tick tock - that's the sound of time, taunting and teasing in its ever-so-almost silent way.  Hours speed by, minutes lost on seconds and then, it it time to get up and do it all again.

This post is a glimpse into what I'm doing. Focusing on the long term of what I will be when I grow up.

This is my sixth semester of studies at the local community college and will graduate in May with an associates degree.  I'm pleased with the coursework I have done, and have the GPA to prove my diligence and great effort: 3.69.  I believe returning to school as a mature adult is an advantage - and when I first registered, my English Literature instructor told me as much.  Her classes were my favorite; the most difficult but the most rewarding.  In addition to English Literature, I took a "Writing at Work" class that gave me valuable experience in the do's and don'ts of professionalism. 60+ credits later, I now know what I do NOT want to do.

What will I do with an associate's degree? The plan is to continue my undergraduate studies and study psychology. In a wild epiphany - last November - I realized what it is I've always wanted to do, so I'm laying the foundation for actually doing it. I want to work with horses and humans - kids and adults alike.



Meanwhile, my service as an AmeriCorps VISTA continues - my work centers around an old farmhouse on just over seven acres that is owned by a town in the geographical center of the state of North Carolina and through two grants, it was rehabilitated and given a purpose to be a heritage center, teaching heritage crafts and skills of a bygone era.  Also, the house hosts an indoor marketplace with locally produced goods, art, pottery, sustainably raised farm meats and eggs.  While this project takes up most of my time, another puzzle of my work schedule fits with the County's exclusive "growers only" farmers' market, where I volunteer as market manager.

Home is as busy as work and school combined, the pigs, chickens, rabbit, guinea pig, ducks, cows, horses, dogs and cat all need attention, nutrition, water, shelter and their quality of life is important to us - so we work hard to maintain their respective living areas that give them a sense of safety, comfort and contentment. My husband keeps the lawn mowed, the waterers cleaned and filled, the manure picked up and composted, and fixes things almost constantly.

Laundry piles up (clean AND dirty), dishes await their washing, and supper always needs to be planned, made and leftovers put up.

We've made the decision to homeschool our seven-year old son, this year also, he is in the first grade. He reads like a third and fourth grader and completes his studies well. There are a great many advantages to homeschooling, and some not-so-great things.

Sigh.  It's just the beginning of another really busy season but mostly I'm grateful to be able to work and study, to live on a small-timey farm and to look back at how far we've come in the five years since we've moved here is awesome.  (have a gander at some posts from 2007, 2008 and 2009....)

I haven't time to post a picture, it's time to get the lad out of the tub and fold some laundry.  It's a good thing I'm a bit hard of hearing, or that tick tock might just worry me.  I can't hear it.  A rhythm all its own is influencing my movements - at a fast pace - but all worth it.

1 comment:

♥ Sean -N- Sonja ♥ said...

Amen, Sister. Perfectly worded. ♥

What is this leisure time of which you speak?

my grateful button